Saturday, May 31, 2014

BLACK-EYED PEA CHILI

So what do you do with left over pot roast and a can of black-eyed peas? Why, you make chili of course!  I just happened to have all of my normal chili ingredients on hand also.  I prefer Williams Chili Seasoning packet, but I had a coupon for the Mrs. Dash so we gave it a try.  It was okay, but the Mrs. Dash won't become my go to seasoning.
MANY people swear by starting their year out with black-eyed peas for luck.  I'm not a superstitious person, but hey it can't hurt!

As a kid I HATED black-eyed peas, but I recently found the Trappey's brand and they are fantastic! Hubs and I ate them plain and polished off the whole can. In fact they were so good that I can't wait to try their other beans in soups, field peas, navy, black-eyed peas with jalapenos, etc...
BLACK-EYED PEA CHILI
1 can Trappey's Black-eyed peas with bacon
+/- 2 cups shredded left over pot roast
1 can original Rotel tomatoes
1 1/2 cups V8
1 small HUNT'S tomato sauce 
1 tablespoon Frank's red hot sauce
1 package Williams Chili Seasoning packet
salt and pepper, to taste
water to desired consistency*
cheese bread or corn muffins
sour cream and onions to garnish
  • Mix together everything except the bread and garnish in a stock pot.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat and simmer several hours until you can smell the chili calling you to the kitchen.
  • Ladle into bowls and garnish.
  • Enjoy!
*I use about 2 cups.  I like to start thin and simmer until thick (2-3 hours) to allow the flavors to blend together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave your ingredients for this recipe we call life!